Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

Starting Lineup Stories: The extremely unbelivablely long but well worth it wait for my Cooperstown Stadium Stars

When I found out that the 97 version of Starting Lineup's Stadium Stars was going to be an all Cooperstown set, I was really excited. I'd always been a fan of the larger Stadium Stars series, and the 3 in particularly that I was interested in were the Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth, and Mickey Mantle. They looked so awesome, I wanted them more than anything in the world. I thought of course that here in Corpus, there would be no way in the world I'd ever find them. I used to look at magazines with envy and just wish that somehow I'd be able to obtain them. Opportunity, for once, actually came a knockin and I would definitely seize it!



The Three "White Whales" so to speak of my collection. I wanted these sooooo bad

The opportunity to get these came from a random source actually. I didn't find them, but my aunt in San Angelo, Texas did. She called my mom and let her know, and my mom said to pick them up. I couldn't believe it! All 3, would be mine! I thought I'd be lucky to just get one, much less all three! I was sooooooo excited, I couldn't wait till she mailed them off to me and I could display them and just stare at them in amazement! There was a catch though. You see that summer, we were supposed to visit them, so my mom told my aunt not to worry about sending them. Since we'd be there in the summer, we'd get them then. WHAT?!?! You mean I now have to wait MONTHS to get these in my possession?! How CRUEL!!!! I begged and pleaded, but my mom said there shouldn't be a rush and eventually I'd have them. I had to be patient....VERRRRRRRRY PATIENT.  It drove me crazy just waiting for them, but in the back of my mind I knew they were mine. I would still check to see if we could find them in Corpus (of course we didn't). I was excited to go to San Angelo to visit my cousin, but this definitely added to the anticipation and excitement. Finally, when we arrived and said our hello's, I innocently asked where she had the figures. My aunt brought out the Toys R Us bags and there they were, in alllllll their glory.  I might have waited quite a while, but it definitely made it that much more special when I got my hands on and it's one Starting Lineup Story I will never forget!

2 comments:

  1. I remember as a kid finding the (at least for me) elusive Dean Palmer starting line up at a Wal Mart in San Angelo. I'm pretty sure San Angelo is also where I got my Nolan Ryan Starting Line Up. I suppose going to the allergist had some benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story... in all my years of collecting SLU's... I still have yet to add one of these to my collection. But if I ever do pick one up... it'll be the Reggie Jackson standing on the Oakland Coliseum.

    ReplyDelete