Pages

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Coming Soon "CARDFEST"



Call me hokey, lame, geeky, all those labels really do apply to me but last week I decided that I'm going to have myself a good ol' Cardfest soon. What's a Cardfest? Well, when I was a kid, every once in a while I would buy different brands of a packs a week with my allowance, save them for a few weeks and open them all in one day. I coined the day "Cardfest" and I would actually put the different packs in a sort of tournament so to speak against each other to compete where the "winner" would be the pack I opened last. The order was determined by vote by my parents (who knew absolutely NOTHING about sports cards, but played along because they were and still are awesome) and myself. So for example if it was Topps Basketball vs Skybox Basketball in Round 1, who ever won the vote would "advance" to the next round and the loser went to the loser bracket etc. I dunno, it was something as a kid that I thought was fun. As I got older, packs turned into boxes, and I eliminated the tournament aspect of it (because even I as a 20 year old had geekery limits lol) and a "Cardfest" to me was just accumulated a ton of boxes to open in one sitting. As I got less into buying boxes and more into just sticking with singles on Ebay, Cardfests basically disappeared, but when I got back into the hobby last year, with a focus of busting more wax than singles, I figured I'd have a Cardfest or two every once in a awhile. If you remember last year, even though I didn't call it one, the first Cardfest I had was late in the summer where I spent all day busting boxes and pulled some pretty awesome stuff (Porzingis Auto, Alex Gordon Topps Tribute Superfractor Auto, Kris Bryant Game Used Ball to 10). Since then, I've had a couple more (Thanksgiving time last year comes to mind, with a case of Strata, 2 boxes of 16-17 Prizm,  5 Boxes of Basketball Elite, 4 Boxes of 14-15 Totally Certified, and 4 Boxes of 15-16 Prestige, though that ended up bleeding into an all week sort of thing) but I decided it was the perfect time to have another one again with Black Friday coming up and my birthday as well. I have pinpointed the day yet, because I'm still waiting to see what kind of sales happen on Black Friday, but there will be a Cardfest coming soon in the next couple of weeks, which makes me excited! I've already got quite a nice start. So I decided in anticipation to start showcasing what I plan to open when the time comes. So without further ado, the first entry into "Cardfest" is......

1998 Topps Gallery Baseball
 
So here's the 1st entry for the Cardfest Extravaganza. Kicking it off Old School with a 20 year old product. I love to open old school boxes, so if I have the chance to add something like this, I definitely will. Why Topps Gallery? Well, it coincides with the re release of Topps Gallery this year (it's a Wal Mart exclusive that just  came out) and this box was a whole $15, which is less than a price of a blaster. No brainer add for me. Throughout the week, I'll be unveiling what else I'm planning on opening! Should be fun!

2 comments:

  1. Love. Love. Love. Topps Gallery. I have a few boxes from the 90's that I've picked up on the cheap. One of these days I'll have my very own Cardfest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! It's a blast spending the whole day just opening up packs!!

      Delete