Pages

Saturday, August 23, 2014

My Favorite 150 Items in My Collection-#117 2000 Starting Lineup Extended Series Ken Griffey Jr.

Why I Like It: The parade of Griffey SLU's ends here at #117 with his Extended Series piece from the 2000 set. There's a multitude of reasons why I like this figure and why I value it more than the rest. I love the pose for one, besides the wall pose, it's probably my favorite baseball pose. It's also the first figure to feature Griffey in his new Reds uniform. All that is reason enough, but the #1 reason is the personal historical significance of this piece to me. It represented the end of the line for collecting SLU's. This was the last piece I ever chased down. I had been waiting for Extended Series baseball to come out for a long time knowing this Griffey piece was in the set. During the summer when we made our annual vacation/SLU hunt  trip, we chose Dallas this particular year. Extended has just come out and I was just hoping that I'd find a Griffey in one of the numerous  Wal-Marts, Targets etc.. Luck never usually went my way, I was sure this piece would be super tough to find. Believe it or not though, I did find it, and it was at one of the Toys R Us stores in Dallas. I also picked up some of the All Century Team SLU's that were out during this trip, but those ended up getting returned when I decided to stop collecting SLU's. After this trip (and after making a 2000 Football Wish List) I reevaluated my collection and decided it was best to move on and sell off most of it. This Griffey was one of the few pieces that I kept out of my original collection. It signifies the end of an era of my SLU collecting days.

No comments:

Post a Comment