Pages

Friday, August 24, 2018

This Ol' Box: Part 2










 
Time for the 2nd installment of "This Ol Box". Here are the next 5 cards out of my original collection

2006-07 UD Chronology Signature Decades Tiny Archibald (#03/70)
 
Man does Tiny Archibald have a great sig. This was an Ebay purchase and I didn't keep it because it was on card auto of a Hall of Famer. I kept it because it's heavily damaged on the back. There are creases GALORE on the card. I guess I was too lazy to return it at the time, but there was no way I was going to sell it damaged so I just kept it. Hey..an auto's an auto.

94-95 Finest Glenn Robinson RC
 
I remember this was part of a bulk purchase from a seller on Ebay who had a bunch of cheap cards and free shipping. I bought a ton of low end rookie cards for like .50-$1.00 apiece including this Big Dog Robinson. It was a card I wanted as a kid because Robinson was a highly coveted rookie to collect back in his rookie season as the #1 pick of the 1994 draft. He had a respectable career but was big time overshadowed by future Hall of Famers Jason Kidd and Grant Hill. Obviously I wasn't going to try to sell a 50 cent card on Ebay so I kept it.

1999-00 SPX Elton Brand RC (#2319/3500)
 
Ah yes my Elton Brand collecting phase. Back in my early days of Ebay he and Edgerrin James seemed to DOMINATE my purchases. I don't think I bought this during his absolute peak, but I still probably spent 4 or 5 bucks on it. Back when even serial numbered rookie card to 3500 (!) were a big deal, Brand was one of the few non auto rookies in SPX that was coveted. Again, nowadays this is $1 or less fodder, so I just kept it.

95-96 Finest Michael Finley RC (No Peel)
 
Part of the bulk Ebay purchase that included the Glenn Robinson, this was actually my 2nd time owning this card. I had traded for it years ago when my friend Javy had it and then ended up trading it to my best friend Kenny because he was a huge Mavs and Finley fan. I probably paid $1 or under for this. This doesn't have to protective film that Finest cards in this era have, which is a matter of preference for collectors. Some collectors need it, some don't. Another "not worth putting on ebay" type of card.

99-00 Fleer Focus Feel The Game Vince Carter
 
I kept this card because the memories it brings me are just so awesome..it takes me back to probably the most fun I ever had in the hobby..Vinsanity. Enjoying what was going on with Vince with my best friend Kenny was so awesome. The Dunk Contest, the in season dunks, just everything, it was truly fun to be a fan. Now I was a sophomore in high school so my funds were quite limited back then. Game Used Jersey cards were still considered holy grail pulls even though there quickly becoming easier and easier to pull. When I saw this card though..I wanted it...SO...FREAKING....BAD. I knew there was no way I'd ever be able to afford (it booked at $350.00 at one time) and it was a pipe dream. When I finally gathered enough money to buy my first game used jersey card  I went with the Grant Hill card of this set ($75.00 for my first ever game used jersey card..my how times CHANGE). Years later with game used cards diluted in value thanks to saturation I finally picked this card up. Probably for around $10.00..crazy thing is..I could probably get it even CHEAPER TODAY. Still there's no way I was ever going to sell this card. Too much sentimental value and still a cool looking card.


That's it for this installment!

1 comment:

  1. Seeing all of those 90's mid level rookies sure brings back memories. I still have a 5000ct. box filled with these guys... along with Kittle, Van Horn, Abdur-Rahim, Stackhouse, etc.

    ReplyDelete