Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2019

April Maildays

So unlike March's 25 card pickup bonanza, I only picked up 4 cards in April. But..one is a holy grail so quality definitely makes up for quantity. Here's what I got for the month of April.


2016-17 Upper Deck Euroleague Luka Doncic Patterned Rainbow
Image may contain: 2 people
Here's what I like about this card. It's a "pre" rookie of sorts as it predates his rookie cards by 2 years and it's an Upper Deck Basketball card of Luka. And no..not one of those posed photos in street clothes, an honest to goodness basketball card. That's because Upper Deck produced Euroleague Basketball cards in 2016-17 and Luka was playing in the league at the time. One of the more unique Lukas to own. This is a parallel and he actually does have autos in the set as well (albeit Stickers)

2009-10 Topps Stephen Curry RC BGS 9
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling
The 2009-10 basketball card season is such a weird season to me for numerous reasons. First of all, I was nearing the end of my first run of collecting, 2nd it was a transition year as Panini had outbid Topps and Upper Deck to become the sole producer of NBA cards. Topps put out one final product before losing their license and it was the flagship brand (mixed with Topps Chrome as well). This stuff IS EXPENSIVE in the secondary market. Admittedly the rookies are pretty bland, non action shots, but it's one of the rare non Panini rookies that you can get. I just wanted a Steph rookie since I had none, and settled for this one. It wasn't outrageously priced (Around $150) and it'll do for now. I'd love his Chrome numbered to 999 but graded copies sell for $1000 or more so it might be a while before I add one of those.


2018-19 Certified Freshman Fabric Gold Luka Doncic Auto/Patch (#10/10)
Image may contain: 1 person
I'm a sucker for gold and even though it's a sticker auto, I still fell in love with the look of this card. I actually have the Lonnie Walker IV version of this that I pulled. Luka's stuff has kind come down a smidge so while this would've broken the bank a couple months ago. I felt I got it for a relatively good price. I'm hoping Luka stuff dips a little bit as the hobby awaits Zion Williamson, that why I can pick up some more stuff. This is definitely a good start.

and finally...a definite holy grail

1998-99 Topps Chrome Refractors Dirk Nowitzki RC BGS 8.5
Image may contain: 1 person, phone
I have been wanting this card FOREVER. I would just never see it on auction and my attempts to buy this on Ebay via Buy It Now/Best Offer always failed because sellers always wanted way more than this card usually goes for. I FINALLY saw an auction for one and was determined to win it. There was no doubt in my mind I was going to win it and lo and behold I did. I always wanted a Dirk cornerstone card in my collection and I got one. Fitting it would be in the year of his retirement. So awesome to be able to check this off the wish list.

And that's it for April!

4 comments:

  1. I love NBA cards and those are some doozies. The Curry in particular. Enjoy seeing that Doncic. Like you it is nice seeing a non-Panini card/rookie. And I was unaware UD made those cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I had seen them before just not got around to picking one up until now. Very cool add in my opinion!

      Delete
  2. Nice haul Chris! I ran into some people at the flea market yesterday and we were just talking about how crazy the basketball card marketplace is. Curry rookie cards were part of that conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fuji! In general it seems like the sports cards marketplace is crazy! I mean the craze right now in baseball seems to be base Topps Flagship rookies. The most mass produced cards there are, are commanding big bucks in graded form and even pretty good money in Raw form. I know it derives from the Trout Update, but it's Crazy seeing raw Topps Update rookies of Ronald Acuna going for like $20 a pop on ebay. I also in a way like it, because it almost brings it back to how it used to be the past when just a base rookie card, no frills, no autos, no chrome etc WAS the card to have!

      Delete