Pages

Saturday, May 11, 2019

Owning Your Boss' Autograph Rookie Card

I guess I had never posted about this, as it did happen before I officially got back into collection. Since then I've also changed jobs, but Fuji over at Chronicles of Fuji's post about owning a card of his best friend, inspired me to post my experience of owning a card of someone I knew as well. My old boss at my previous employer was a minor league baseball player and he indeed did have a card made of him. I've copied and pasted the story that I shared on Blowout Cards Message Board at the time so here it is.

"So I work in the Finance Department of a major convenience store and my boss had mentioned before how he had a brief minor league baseball career. I remember asking him once if he had a baseball card and he said that indeed he did. I had always meant to try to find it, but stuff happens and I put it off until last week when I finally decided to google it. Lo and behold he did. He played for the Miami Marlins in the mid 80's and has a 1986 Procards card. I was actually able to find the team set on Ebay and decided to surprise him and have him sign it for me. I took it in yesterday and the look on his face was priceless. He was almost embarrassed, and gave me this big smile and a "I can't believe you really went out and bought one" look but I was like "hey, I think it's really cool to have your own baseball card". It was fun and became the topic of the day at work. Lo and behold here it is...my Greg Wallace Autograph "Rookie Card""

4 comments:

  1. That's pretty cool and how many can say we have our bosses signed baseball card?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! Do you still keep in touch with Mr. Wallace?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah for sure! He was a great boss and even a better person, just an all around genuine good guy. He gave me a great recommendation for the job I'm at now too!

      Delete