Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Close But No Cigar-1973 Topps Roberto Clemente

I'm not a huge vintage collector, but I have been trying to be more recently. I'm really starting to appreciate older vintage cards. It's real cool to have a 40 or 50 year card of a Hall of Famer, and in this case one of the best players in baseball history. This one of my first vintage pickups and it was years ago at a local card show here in Corpus. This card was in the $1 bin at one of the tables, and I bought it just so I could have a Roberto Clemente card. It's not in great shape, there's a huge crease on the bottom right corner, corners are dinged, but for a buck, I thought it was very worth it. I still have a fondness for this card and it came real close to making my countdown.

Why this card was considered: It's a vintage Topps cards of one of the greatest players of all time. This is also his last issued card during his playing days, before his untimely death.

Why this card ultimately didn't make the cut: The biggest reason
is it's in pretty rough shape. There was a reason it was in the dollar bin.
Also, maybe an earlier issue of Clemente would've made the cut, but I
just felt there were many others in my collection that deserved to make the
list besides this Clemente.

No comments:

Post a Comment