Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

Top 100 Cards of My Collection-#55 2003 SP Legendary Cuts Historic Swatches Purple Christy Mathewson

Here's another awesome card of a legendary Hall of Famer. Christy Mathewson was an elite pitcher in the dead ball era of baseball and is considered one of greatest pitchers of all time. His 373 wins tie him with Grover Cleveland Alexander for 3rd on the all time wins list and he was one of the inaugural inductees to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1936. He also died at a relatively young of 45 in 1925. There are a couple reasons I placed this over the Babe. One is that this is a pants swatch instead of just a bat chip and the second is scarcity. There's not nearly as much Mathewson memorabilia out there as there is Babe Ruth, so in my opinion Mathewson memorabilia cards
are a little tougher to find than Ruth. This card comes from
the 2003 SP Legendary Cuts set and is the Purple parallel
version numbered to 100. To me the parallel doesn't matter
neither does the 8.5 BGS grade, I bought to acquire a piece of
game used memorabilia from one of the greatest pitchers of all time.
I personally think this card is underrated, and relatively speaking it will not
cost you and arm and leg to buy. This books high at $150 which is kinda low considering
that this memorabilia can't be too easy to find since Mathewson played in the early 1900's.
This is definitely one of those "Got to have" cards if you're a baseball fan, and I'm proud to say
I have one!

1 comment: